Network access in the residence halls and on EIU wireless (eiuwifi) has been enhanced through the implementation of a product called Safe Connect. Safe Connect provides a more secure computing environment for you when connecting to the Eastern network in residence hall facilities. In order to be allowed access to the network, you will be required to keep your computer’s operating system up to date. In addition, Safe Connect will check for the existence of an approved anti-virus program that is running and properly updated.
What Is Safe Connect?
Safe Connect is a network validation software package provided by Impulse and employed by Eastern to control virus infections on the residence hall network. The Safe Connect system resides on the client’s machine, authenticates the user and scans for the required patches and software.
Installing Safe Connect
All computers in the residence halls and on EIU wireless must have Safe Connect installed in order to be granted full access to network services.
- Verify that your computer has installed an operational network interface card.
- Connect one end of your Ethernet cable into the network interface card and the other end directly into the orange data jack on the wall.
- Turn on your computer and open up a Web browser. You will see the “Welcome to the Campus Network” login screen.
- Enter your NetID and password (the same one you use for PAWS and e-mail access).
- When prompted, click Accept to accept the terms of the ITS Computing and Network Use Policy.
- Safe Connect will do an initial policy check to verify your software, patches and anti-virus compliance. This check should take less than 30 seconds.
- If your machine does not pass the validation rules, you will be redirected to pages that will help bring your machine into compliance.
- Once you have complied with all of the validation rules, you will be successfully connected to the network.